Vida Antigua Site Logo

Central Park


Parque Central was built in 1738 and was designed to bring the residents of Antigua together. The park has many nicknames, one being Plaza Real (Royal Plaza). This name came to be because of the official announcements and parties and because of the public punishments and executions that were held there.

Additional Information:

The plaza was also a convenient place for military parades and gatherings, which created the nickname Plaza de Armas (Armaments Plaza). The name Parque Central (Central Park) came to be in the twentieth century once the government changed the plaza into a garden. The park is surrounded by beautiful trees and colonial buildings, including the San Jose Cathedral, and, is open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. The park is still a popular destination for tourists and locals today and is one of the best places to meet with friends or family, or just to people-watch.

Entrance Fee:
Opening Hours:
Days Closed: